Blog Description


This blog is for sharing one of the six loving exchanges between vaishnavas - bhajana katha sravanam alapa - sharing and discussing bhajan topics with devotees.

It is also my humble attempt to follow the instruction my gurudeva would give at the end of every class: take these pastimes and instructions into your heart. Therefore in the hopes that it will make some impression in my heart, I am sharing lecture notes, quotes, book excerpts, and other words from the brahma-madhva-gaudiya sampradaya and vaisnava/is around the world.


Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spiritual Greed


om ajnana timirandhasya jnananjana salakaya
caksur unmilitam yena tasmai sri gurave namah

"O Gurudeva, you are so merciful. I offer my humble pranama unto you and am praying from the core of my heart that, with the torchlight of divine knowledge, you open my eyes which have been blinded by the darkness of ignorance."

Quote:
"If there is no greed, then yukti, or logical argument, will influence our
consideration as to whether we should, or should not, pray
for this attainment. If there is greed, no reasoning is needed.
Our rāgānuga-sādhana will be kept very sacred and secret, and
we will desire to meet with those persons who have a keen
interest in such sādhana. We will not discuss these topics with
anyone else.

"At that time there will be no need for sastric yukti; no need
to become convinced by sastric reasoning or logic. Suppose a
man loves a lady, or a lady loves a man. There is no reason why
the lady loves that man; she simply saw him and fell in love
with him. Greed is like that.

"We should try to perform vaidhī-bhakti always, thinking,
'I am performing vaidhī-bhakti by the grace of Ƙṛṣṇa, who is
so merciful.' Greed will come later on. The practices of both
are one; there is no difference. Some difference is there, but
no real difference.

"If a blind man prays for something, there is no harm in
that. 'I want to be in Vṛndāvana.' What harm is there in such
desire? 'I want to serve my Gurudeva in transcendental Goloka
Vṛndāvana.' There is no harm in this desire. We should avoid
thinking, 'I am a gopī, a mañjarī. I am doing this and that
service.' We are not qualified to go there, so we pray for that
qualification."

- Srila Gurudeva in Raga-vartma-chandrika

No comments:

Post a Comment